1st XV Limavady Away

Lisburn come back at the death to seal victory


Limavady 3 – Lisburn 10


At the john Hunter Memorial Grounds in Limavady on Saturday an ever improving Lisburn outfit came back at the death to seal an excellent away win over rivals Limavady.  Lisburn, sponsored by Smiley Monroe, had two changes from their last game – winger Adam Melville having to cry off with injury and  David Currie replacing Mark Uprichard in the second row – This meant a switch by Mark Crowe to fullback and Owen Hilary to the wing with David Scott, returning from his studies in Australia, slotting into outside centre.  The game started in fine conditions and both teams gave the ball plenty of air early on.  However, defences were on top in what turned out to be a very tight and warmly contested game.  On the 30 minute mark the opening score arrived in the shape of a penalty to Limavady for offside and their Kiwi outhalf and play maker, Greg Jordan, slotted over the three points.


By half time the rain had commenced making playing conditions that bit more difficult. However, both teams continued to probe each others’ defences and indeed Lisburn were denied tries on at least two occasions when they were repulsed by strong tackling by the home team.  Limavady then had a player injured in the middle of the second period and he was sorely missed especially when Lisburn upped the ante in the final ten minutes.  Having trailed by the solitary penalty score the whole way through the game right up to the final three minutes, Lisburn finally got the breakthrough which their efforts deserved and once again it was inside centre David Gilkinson who got the score to put Lisburn into a tantalising 3-5 lead.  With just one minute left on the clock, Limavady came flying back to try and snatch the game but it was Lisburn who got possession to bring the ball back into the Limavady 22 where an intercept by winger Nick Kennedy put Lisburn into an unassailable lead of 3-10.  While the difficult conversion failed, the final whistle was then blown to leave Lisburn late winners at the death.  This was the second match in a row where Lisburn won the game just on the final whistle and exhibits their never say die attitude.  Next Saturday they have another difficult contest when they take on Enniskillen at home.