1st XV Limavady Home

Lisburn Complete Double Over Limavady


Lisburn 27 – Limavady 7


At their Blaris headquarters last Saturday the Smiley Monroe sponsored Lisburn completed the double over rivals Limavady with a great display of controlled rugby in the wet and muddy conditions. With Mark Gilkinson back at tight head prop and Phil Jefferson moving to the back row, Andy Barron came into the second row for his seasonal first XV debut to replace the injured David Curry. In the backline David Gilkinson was back in at inside centre while Adam Melville came onto the wing following a long absence due to injury – it was good to see him back.


In the horrid conditions it was going to be a forward dominated game and the Lisburn eight were under no illusion as to the requirements. They drove upfield from the start and put the visitors under severe pressure. This led to two quick Crowe penalties within six minutes and the scoreline was extended to 9-0 before the end of the first quarter. Limavady had their Kiwi outhalf in fine form again and he was able to read the game well, putting his players into the right positions with his pinpoint kicking game. On the 25 minute mark he floated a fine cross field kick into the left hand corner and the Limavady winger was up very fast to get possession and score. The Kiwi then kicked the conversion from the touchline to narrow the score to 9-7.


The Lisburn pack were dominating the set scrums as the half wore on and five minutes before the interval they got a penalty just metres from the Limavady line. Deciding to take a scrum, the Lisburn pack drove the visitors over the line for a well taken pushover try. After the start of the second period Crowe again kicked his fourth penalty to open up a 17-7 gap and on twenty minutes increased this to 20-7 with a similar effort. Straight from the kickoff Lisburn gained possession and launched a mighty kick into the Limavady 22. Their fullback gained possession but had his clearance kick blocked down. Lisburn got possession and moved the ball to winger Owen Hillary who dashed in under the posts for a fine score. Crowe again converted to bring up his seventeen points with the boot.


While there was still almost twenty minutes to play, Lisburn took their foot off the pedal but in the gloomy conditions they ensured that there was to be no sting in the tail from a resurgent Limavady and the final score ended at 27-7. This win brings Lisburn up to a respectable mid place in the Qualifying Two table and next Saturday they take on Grosvenor away in a re-arranged League game. All support will be welcome at Belmont. The 2nd XV play Portadown, also on the road.